I didn’t intend on having to remove the pistons, connecting rods, mains, and crankshaft, but then again, I didn’t think it through, either. In order to get the engine in the bed of my truck, it couldn’t sit in there crank side down. I also couldn’t lift it up (from the stand) in the bed of the truck either. It had to go back on the hoist, and I had to remove the short block to get it to the machine shop as safely as possible.
I totally did the connecting rods incorrectly. If anyone actually reads this, don’t do what I did in the video. Remove one connecting rod at a time and re-bolt it to its cap. I later learned that the factory breaks these two parts, so each rod is an exact match to its cap. The way I numbered mine, I was able to reverse engineer which one was which, but I lost about 20 minutes in the process.
The mains were mostly not a big deal. Except #3 – it had a death grip and would not come out. I ended up giving up on it (I was not sure how hard you could whack it with a rubber mallet), and returning to it the next day. My hands, wrists, and arms were ready for battle again and with enough pushing, pulling, and tugging, it finally came out. The crankshaft came right out and I immediately wrapped it in bubble wrap.
I had done it! I was down to a bare block. My biggest automotive achievement prior to this was some oil changes, a couple of tune-ups (on old school distributer engines – not this coil by cylinder stuff), and slapping on a few bolt on mods. This was a real achievement for me. However, not even close to how I hope I will feel when I get it back together and [hoping and praying] that when I turn the key, all will be well. That day has yet to come. As I write this, the engine is still at the machine shop.
So, check out the video, and be sure to check out my other videos, subscribe to my YouTube channel, and like and comment. Thanks!